An essential action that I suggest to every blogger is set up Feedburner after creating your WordPress or BlogSpot blog. It is a must have service for bloggers to set up RSS feed and track the performance.
Features of FeedBurner
- It’s free, simple to use
- Offers some great email newsletter features like a free email subscription, email delivery time, and email subject title.
- There is no limit to the number of subscribers using Feedburner.
- You can also use Adsense for feeds to monetize FeedBurner feeds.
- More options for branding, controlling and tracking your feed and email subscriber.
A couple of points to take care:
- Whenever you are starting a new Blog, make sure you burn the feed from the first day.
- From SEO perspective, it’s a good idea to use keyword or brand name in your feed name. It makes it easier to spot among various other feeds.
This is a guide for Blogspot or WordPress bloggers who are still using the default feed provided by blog platform. Learn how to set up RSS feed using FeedBurner.
Guide to set up FeedBurner RSS feed:
1. Open Google FeedBurner page and sign in using your Gmail or Google Apps account. On the first page, you will see an option to add your blog URL. If it’s a new WordPress blog, create a dummy post (test post) to set up feedBurner.
2. Copy your blog feed URL and paste it as shown in the picture and click on next.
For any WordPress blog, your default feed would be something like http://domain.com/feed .Replace domain.com with an actual domain name.
3. In the next page specify the feed name. Keep it same as your domain name. In case if you have a long domain name, you can use the short name for your feeds. Ex: TGM . If you are creating a micro niche site, you should Prefer using your Keyword in Feed title; it makes your feed reach to more target audience.
4. In the next screen, you will get a confirmation message stating that your feed is ready.
So now you have successfully created a Feedburner feed for your blog. Now, all you need to do is install Feedburner feedsmith plugin or FD Feedburner plugin, and redirect all WordPress default feeds to Feedburner feed. These plugins are simple to configure, and once done, it will automatically take care of redirection. Now, you can make many changes in your Feedburner account, that will ensure you make most out of Email delivery, and feeds.
Do let us know if you faced any problem while setting up your RSS feed?